Deaths due to car crashes on the rise

January 21, 2020 | Uncategorized | By Personal Injury Legal Directory | 0 Comments

In 2018, 36,750 people were killed in the U.S. in car accidents, making it the third deadliest year for car crashes in the past decade.

37,133 people were killed in vehicle crashes in 2017. The National Safety Council reports that 40,200 people died in car accidents in 2016, the first year since 2007 that more than 40,000 people have died in motor vehicle crashes in one year.

Traffic deaths in 2016 rose 6% from the previous year after a 7% rise in 2015. The combined total rise in traffic deaths from 2015 to 2016 was over 13%, which made the two year increase the largest in over half of a century.  The lowest number of fatalities for the decade was 32,744 in 2014.

Pedestrian deaths also rose 4% to 6,227 total deaths in 2018 according to the Governors Highway Safety Association, a 28-year high.

The National Safety Council explains the increases due to the increase in Americans driving more for work and for pleasure.  The rise can also be attributed to an increase in distracted driving, driving under the influence, speeding, and a decrease in the number of officers patrolling highways. 

Only 18 states categorize not wearing a seatbelt as a primary offense, meaning a driver can be pulled over because he or she is not wearing a seatbelt, without the presence of another offense.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 50% of all car accident fatalities involve passengers who are not wearing a seatbelt, and 30% are the result of impaired drivers or drivers under the influence.

Ralph Nader, an attorney and consumer advocate, suggests that states could cut the high numbers of traffic deaths by requiring passengers to wear seatbelts, installing traffic cameras to reduce speeding and catch speeding cars without police presence, and by enacting more regulations relating to heavy trucking.

The National Safety Council supported Nader’s ideas for reducing traffic deaths, adding that banning the use of all smartphones by drivers, including hands-free calling and messaging, may also reduce deaths due to car accidents.

Following a collision resulting in serious injuries, an experienced personal injury attorney can investigate liability, consult with an accident reconstructionist, and evaluate claims for injuries and damages.  The risks, costs and possible outcomes from the litigation process can be discussed. There should be no charge for the consultation with the attorney.  

If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accidents, don’t wait to reach out to a car accident lawyer in Phoenix, AZ about your situation so that you can discuss your legal options.

Thanks to the Law Office of Paul Englander, PLC for their insight into personal injury claims and car crash deaths.